A shower door makes a great statement about your bathroom. This is why it is important to ensure that it doesn’t have traces of soap scum or any form of dirt.
However, not many people know the best way to clean their shower doors and that’s why we came up with this article. It will guide you on how you can have your shower doors sparkling clean without sweating.
- Requirements For Cleaning Shower Doors
- 1. Make The Shower Door Wet
- 2. Spray Your Shower Door With Vinegar
- 3. Leave The Vinegar Solution To Sit For Some Minutes
- 4. Start Scrubbing The Glass Shower Door
- 5. Rinse The Shower Door
- 6. Dry Your Glass Shower Doors
- 7. How To Clean Shower Doors With Vinegar and Dawn
- 8. How To Clean Shower Doors With Vinegar and Ammonia
- 9. How To Clean Shower Doors with Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Salt
- 10. How To Clean Glass Shower Doors With Vinegar and Lemon
- 11. How To Clean Glass Shower Doors Using Dish Detergent and Vinegar
- 12. Why Use Vinegar To Clean Glass Shower Doors
- How To Keep Your Shower Doors Clean
Requirements For Cleaning Shower Doors
You don’t have to use sophisticated items to do the job. Here is what you require and most of them you might be having already.
- Dry towel
- Microfiber cloth
Steps of Cleaning Shower Doors With Vinegar
1. Make The Shower Door Wet
This is the first step and it’s meant to enable you to remove the dirt and scum with ease. You can use warm regular water and sprinkle it on the door. Scrub the door gently using a microfiber cloth as you keep on adding more water.
2. Spray Your Shower Door With Vinegar
Shower doors have got a lot of dirt and you might not know it. This is why you need to use vinegar because it is a powerful cleaning agent.
This is more so when it comes to hard water stains. Mix vinegar and water and make sure the quantity is enough to cover all the parts of the door. Also, remember to spray the solution on the door’s metal frames so that it can get rid of any dirt or scum buildup.
3. Leave The Vinegar Solution To Sit For Some Minutes
Do not be in a hurry to clean the vinegar. Allow it to sit on the door for some time because if you clean it immediately with a sponge the results might not be sparkling.
Depending on the status of the door, 10 minutes would be ideal. If the shower doors were too dirty you can spray some more solution of vinegar specifically on areas where there is dirt, oil, or scum residue.
Related Read: Check some luxury tubs
4. Start Scrubbing The Glass Shower Door
Put on your gloves because this is the step where the action begins. You can use a microfiber cloth with some baking soda sprinkled on it and start scrubbing. The combination of baking soda and vinegar form an incredible cleaning solution that will break all grime and mineral deposits on your shower door.
Start scrubbing the door and if the soap scum, grime, and other stains are too many you can add more vinegar and baking soda on the door using a spray bottle. Ensure your scrubbing is gentle and in one direction. You don’t want to damage your glass shower door.
5. Rinse The Shower Door
Now that you have removed all the scum and other stains from the shower door, it’s time to rinse it. You can use distilled water to do the rinsing.
Clean the whole door until all the vinegar solution is rinsed off. If you have a glass door cleaner you can add a pinch of it in the rinsing water for perfect results.
6. Dry Your Glass Shower Doors
7. How To Clean Shower Doors With Vinegar and Dawn
Dawn is one of the best cleaning products that you should use to clean shower doors. It is tough on grease, scum, hard water stains, and other oil-related stains. Below are the items you need to clean the shower doors with vinegar and dawn
- Spray bottle
- Dawn dish detergent
- A cup of vinegar
Steps to follow
- Use a microwave to heat the one cup of vinegar
- Mix the dawn blue dish soap with the heated vinegar.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray on the shower doors.
- Use a brush to scrub the shower doors
- Rinse it off and dry using a squeegee.
8. How To Clean Shower Doors With Vinegar and Ammonia
Your glass shower doors will be sparkling clean when you use white vinegar and ammonia. The solution will take away the hard water stains and soap scum that makes the glass shower doors look cloudy. The two are the best cleaning products you should use if you don’t have time to clean every shower door daily. Here is a list of the things you need for the cleaning.
- Plastic scrubber
- Baking soda
- A bucket of water.
- Add vinegar and ammonia into the bucket of water and combine the cleaning products by stirring.
- Dip the washcloth into the solution and allow it to soak.
- Squeeze the excess solution and wipe it onto the shower doors and leave it to sit for five minutes.
- Use a plastic scrubber to scrub the door and remove soap scum, hard water stains, and any buildup.
- Rinse the solution off by using distilled water.
- Use a clean towel or squeegee to dry the glass shower doors.
9. How To Clean Shower Doors with Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Salt
- Mix baking soda and salt into a bowl properly
- Pour some white vinegar into a spray bottle and dip it in warm water to make it warm.
- Spray the warm white vinegar on your glass shower doors.
- Dip a wet sponge into the salt and baking soda mixture and spread it on the shower doors.
- Ensure all the doors are covered with paste, mist with white vinegar
- Wipe the shower doors down
- Rinse the doors with water.
10. How To Clean Glass Shower Doors With Vinegar and Lemon
The combination of vinegar and some lemon juice is a sure way of having clean shower doors.
- Cut your lemons into halves and apply some baking soda on top of the cut lemon.
- Scrub the shower doors using the lemon and ensure you continue squeezing it for more juice to come out.
- Take the other half of the lemon when the first one gets dry and continue scrubbing onto the door.
- Leave the doors to sit with the lemon and baking soda mixture.
- After 10 minutes, wash off the stains from the surface using a damp sponge.
- Use lots of water to rinse the door until all the mixture is gone. This will allow you to see any harsh stain that could be remaining on the door.
- Take another piece of lemon and squeeze the juice. Mix it with vinegar and water and fill it into a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture onto any remaining stains on the surface and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Do a few minutes wipe using a damp cloth to get rid of the vinegar solution and other stains on your bathroom door.
11. How To Clean Glass Shower Doors Using Dish Detergent and Vinegar
This is an easy and cheap way of cleaning glass doors. A dish detergent will give your bathroom door that sparkling look you didn’t expect. Here is how you do the cleaning.
- Apply the dish detergent on the sponge and start scrubbing the door. Ensure that it releases some lather as you scrub.
- Once you have covered all the doors parts, rinse your door and sponge off the detergent by either using a small horse pipe or a cup to splash the water on your shower door.
- Once all the soap scum and grease is removed, dip your sponge in vinegar and apply it onto all parts of the shower door.
- Scrub the door surface again and take note of any stain that could be remaining. Ensure you scrub them thoroughly until there is no stain remaining before proceeding to other parts of the door.
- Rinse the doors using enough water and dry them thoroughly and regularly using a paper towel.
12. Why Use Vinegar To Clean Glass Shower Doors
Your bathroom doors will appreciate that you cleaned them using vinegar. If you are still doubting why you should use vinegar to clean your doors, here are the reasons.
- You avoid the use of harsh chemicals some of which are harmful to the doors and your skin
- Vinegar is safe for the environment and you can drain it easily unlike other cleaning products
- Its a disinfectant and kills an all-purpose cleaner
- Vinegar doesn’t have a strong smell unlike other detergents
- Easy to use and cost-saving
- Doesn’t require much scrubbing efforts
- Readily available in the stores
Also read: How to remove mold from bathroom
How To Keep Your Shower Doors Clean
You may be wondering if it is possible to keep the shower doors clean for a long time. Here are some tips that will help you achieve that.
- Soften hard water
If the water running through your taps is not soft, you will notice some hard water spots on your glass door. The spots might turn into stains eventually and that’s why you should soften the water. This is more so the one you use to shower because it will not only protect the door, tub, but also your skin.
- Use Liquid Soap
This is the only sure way to avoid soap scum buildup. You can do that by using liquid soap and you will not see any stains.
- Use A Squeegee
Always use a squeegee every time you clean your shower doors because it removes dirt easily and maintains the cleanliness of your door. You can also use a microfiber cloth especially when you want to wipe the doors.
- Allow Air Circulation
Air circulation is very important in bathrooms. Every time you take a shower ensure that you leave the windows and door open. The airflow will ensure that the shower doors and walls are protected against moisture from the warm water and other dirt.
The other way to ensure your glass door is clean for a long time is by using a commercial cleaner at least once a week.
Despite vinegar being a common ingredient thanks to its flavor and chemical properties, it is also a super cleaning agent. There are many types of vinegar but the white one is the best especially when mixed with other cleaning agents like dish detergent, lemon, baking soda, or ammonia.
You stand to gain much when you use vinegar to clean your glass doors. It is tough on stubborn stains including soap scum, grime, and mineral residues.
Vinegar will make your bathroom door cleaning easier unlike when using the other cleaning products. This is because it is easy to rinse it off even in the most hidden parts. Another reason you should use vinegar on your shower doors is that it is not toxic.
You will not have to worry about your safety when using it because you have maybe used it in your meals. This article has discussed how to clean shower doors with vinegar and you now have several options to follow. Use any of the methods discussed and have your showers doors clean all the time.